United States Immigration
United States Immigration
Apply for a
Green Card

Will USCIS provide special accommodations for me if I am disabled?

Some people with disabilities need special consideration during the naturalization process. USCIS will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations in these cases. For example, if you use a wheelchair, we will make sure your fingerprint location is wheelchair accessible. If you are hearing impaired and wish to bring a sign language interpreter to your interview, you may do so. Asking for an accommodation will not affect your eligibility for naturalization. USCIS makes decisions about making accommodations on a case-by-case basis.

How can I pay my application fee?

You must pay your application fee with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank in U.S. dollars payable to USCIS. You must send your fee with your application. Remember that your application fee is not refundable even if you withdraw your application or USCIS denies your case.

How long will it take to become naturalized?

The time it takes to be naturalized varies from one local office to another. USCIS reported that it takes, on average, between 6 and 9 months to become naturalized.

Where can I be fingerprinted?

After USCIS has received your application, we will notify you of the location where you should get fingerprinted.

What if I cannot make it to my scheduled interview?

It is very important not to miss your interview. If you have to miss your interview, you should notify the office where your interview is scheduled by mail as soon as possible. In your letter, you should ask to have your interview rescheduled. Rescheduling an interview may add several months to the naturalization process, so try not to change your original interview date. If an emergency arises and you absolutely cannot make your appointment, call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 to request rescheduling. The NCSC will record the information, and pass it on to the local office, which will make the final decision whether to reschedule your appointment. If you miss your scheduled interview without notifying USCIS, USCIS will administratively close your case. Unless you contact USCIS to schedule a new interview within 1 year after USCIS closes your case, USCIS will deny your application. USCIS will not notify you if we close your case because you missed your interview.

When does my time as a permanent resident begin?

Your time as a permanent resident(green card holder)begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card, known as Alien Registration Card.

If I have been convicted of a crime but my record has been expunged, do I need to indicate that on my application or tell an immigration officer?

Yes. You should always be honest with INS regarding all:

Arrests, including those by police, Immigration Officers, and other Federal Agents.
convictions, even if they have been expunged.
crimes you have committed for which you were not arrested or convicted.

Even if you have committed a minor crime, Immigration may deny your application if you do not tell the Immigration officer about the incident. It is extremely important that you tell INS about any arrest even if someone else has advised you that you are not required to do so.

If USCIS grants me naturalization, when will I become a citizen?

You become a citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. In some places, you can choose to take the Oath the same day as your interview. If that option is not available or if you prefer a ceremony at a later date, USCIS will notify you of the ceremony date with a Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, Form N-445, that USCIS sent to you. You should send the N-445 back to your local office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local office will reschedule you and send you a new Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, Form N-445, to tell you when your ceremony will be.

What can I do if USCIS denies my application?

There is an administrative review process for those who are denied naturalization. If you feel that you have been wrongly denied naturalization, you may request a hearing with an immigration officer. Your denial letter will explain how to request a hearing and will include the form you need. The form for filing an appeal is the Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings under Section 336 of the Act, Form N-336.

Can I reapply for naturalization if USCIS denies my application?

In many cases, you may reapply. If you reapply, you will need to complete and resubmit a new N-400 and pay the fee again. You will also need to have your fingerprints and photographs taken again. If your application is denied, the denial letter should indicate the date you may reapply for citizenship. If you are denied because you failed the citizenship test, you may reapply for naturalization as soon as you want. You should reapply whenever you believe you have learned enough English or civics to pass the test.

What do I do if I have lost my Certificate of Naturalization? What do I use as proof of citizenship if I do not have my certificate?

You may get a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, Form N-565, to USCIS. Submit this form with the fee to your local USCIS office. It may take up to 1 year for you to receive a new certificate. If you have one, you may use your passport as evidence of citizenship while you wait for a replacement certificate.


US Immigration