United States Immigration
United States Immigration
Apply for a
Green Card
Green Card Renewal
Who Should Apply for Green Card Renewal?

United States lawful permanent residents who were issued an Alien Registration Receipt Card, form I-551, commonly known as a Green Card, with a ten-year expiration date on the front of the card and the card is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.

You may submit your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, up to six months prior to the expiration date on the Green Card.

Start Application

Green Card Renewal Requirements:

You must bring these items in-person:

Completed form I-90 application to renew green card.
The filing fee should be paid by check or money order payable to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Two color photographs. Photo requirements are specified on the I-90 renewal application
Expiring or expired Green Card (the original Form I-551 valid for 10 years)
Photocopies of the front and back of your expiring or expired Green Card
Government-issued identification such as a state-issued driver's license, state-issued identification card, U.S. military-issued identification card, or your country's passport

If you are a renewal applicant and your name has changed legally from the name listed on your expiring or expired green card, bring documentation of the name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or other court document. If you were issued your green card before your 14th birthday and you are now over 14 years old, you must be fingerprinted. You will need to bring a check or money order for the $50 fingerprinting fee. Download the Green Card Renewal application.

The USCIS Application Support Center in your area may also accepts Form I-90 Green Card Renewal Applications, but it is recommended to apply online.

Your completed Form I-90 and the other documents should be filed in the USCIS Application Support Center in your area which accepts I-90, green card renewal applications. When you visit the ASC, USCIS will review your renewal application. If all is in order, your current card will be returned to you along with authorization to use it as temporary evidence of your permanent resident status. USCIS will process your renewal application and, upon approval, mail you a new green card now officially known as the Permanent Resident Card, form I-551 valid for ten years.

US Immigration