United States Immigration
United States Immigration
Apply for a
Green Card
Green Card Replacement
Green Card Replacement

A permanent resident card, is the evidence of your status as a lawful permanent resident with a right to live and work permanently in the United States. It also is the evidence of your registration in accordance with United States immigration laws. The permanent resident card is also called USCIS form I-551, and it used to be called alien registration receipt card.

Start Application

Your permanent green card needs to be replaced if:
Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed.
Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday.
You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States.
You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status.
Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status.
You have a previous version of the green card called alien registration card (USCIS form AR-3, form AR-103, or form I-151 - they are no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with the current permanent resident card form I-551.
Your card contains incorrect data.
Your name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card.
You never received the previous permanent resident card that was issued to you by the USCIS.
Applying to replace your permanent resident card.

If you are a permanent resident, who needs to replace your card, or conditional resident who needs to replace your two-year card, for any of the reasons listed above, you may apply for a replacement card by filing a USCIS Form I-90. This procedure should not be used by lawful permanent residents who are seeking to renew their ten-year green card only because the card is expiring or has expired.

Form I-90 states all the documentation and photos that must be submitted. Detailed information is provided in the instructions. Unless otherwise instructed, you should file the application, along with supporting documentation and fees in person at the local USCIS office serving the area where you live. If you are outside the U.S. and have lost your alien registration card, contact the nearest American Consulate.

Temporary evidence of your status for travel and employment.

At the time that you are completing the fingerprint and signature requirements, necessary for the adjudication of the form I-90 and the issuance of the replacement card, you may request temporary evidence of your permanent resident status, valid for travel and employment purposes.

Denial to replace your permanent resident card.

If your application for a replacement alien registration card (green card) is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing such a motion, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider its decision. A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by the appropriate documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision to deny your application was based on an incorrect application of immigration law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made.

Start Application

US Immigration